General information for preparing to attend or present at a conference.
Preparing for Conferences - by a graduate student, with good advice for anyone presenting
Getting the most out of scientific conferences, professionally and personally - by a Maryland Sea Grant Research Fellow
These tips are also good reminders for the rest of us.
Here are some reminders:
- Practice, practice, practice (your presentation)
- Audio-visual materials must match up with your presentation and you have to actually use them.
- For posters, read up on your own research so that it is fresh in your mind
- Work on your "elevator speech" (make it simple and show the relevance of your work)
- Ask good questions at talks, panels, and to individuals
- Be ready for tough questions
- Be confident!