Citrus College is approved as a degree granting institution for veterans and eligible dependents seeking educational and/or vocational training under Title 38, United States Code. Students attending Citrus College under Title 38, Chapters 30, 31, 33, 35, 1606, 1607 and California veterans are invited and urged to take advantage of the guidance service and educational training offered by Citrus College. Returned service personnel are aided in securing the training necessary to realize their vocational aims.

Citrus College cooperates with the Veterans Administration and with the California State Bureau of Vocational Rehabilitation in helping veterans.

Application Procedures for Veterans Benefits

  • Click here to apply for admission online for Citrus College.
  • Request official transcripts of all previous college or university work completed and military service credits be forwarded to Citrus College. Evaluation of transcripts from accredited colleges and universities and military service credits will be performed within the first two terms of enrollment and college credit will be awarded as applicable.
  • If enrolling in English, reading, and/or math course(s), the assessment test must be taken prior to registration. Placement testing is on a drop-in basis. Allow 1 1/2 to 2 hours to complete the exam. Please arrive at least 2 hours prior to closing or test will not be administered.  
  • After taking the placement test, and transcripts have arrived in the Admissions and Records Office, an appointment should be made to see a Veterans Counselor to receive a Student Educational Plan (SEP). Call the Veterans Success Center to make an appointment, 626-852-6421.
  • Complete the application for VA educational benefits (VA form 22-1990) and submit member copy 4 of DD214 to the VA representative. "GI BILL" ® education forms -    
  • Selected Reserve and National Guard personnel must submit a Notice of Basic Eligibility (VA form DD-2384). Your reserve or guard unit will issue this form.
  • Transfer students who collected under Chapters 30, 32, 33, 1606 and 1607 need to complete a request for Change in Program or Place of Training (VA form 22-1995). Previous college credit must be evaluated and annotated on the Student Educational Plan (SEP).
  • Fill out an Intent Form at the Veterans Success Center in the IC Building,  every semester VA benefits are to be received.  
  • Turn in all VA educational benefits paperwork to the Veterans Success Center.

A new veteran applying to the college will be advised of the benefits available to veterans on campus, will be given an information sheet explaining VA regulations pertaining to education while at Citrus College, and will be informed of responsibilities concerning the acceptance of benefits under the "G.I. Bill" ®.

Widows and dependent children of deceased or disabled veterans are also eligible for VA benefits and should inquire at the Veterans Center concerning proper procedure.

"GI Bill" ® is a registered trademarkof the Department of Veterans Affairs.

Your application for VA benefits will not be accepted until all college transcripts have been received and all the above procedures have been completed. You must allow eight to ten weeks for processing from the time your paperwork is sent to the Veterans Administration before you will receive your first check.

Priority registration is available for active duty military and veterans. If you are currently in the military , or were discharged within the past four years, you are eligible for priority registration. An active duty military ID card or DD214 are required for verification.

The Veterans Administration holds both the college and the recipient liable for overpayments. Overpayments are most commonly the result of:

1. Failure to process a Program Change Form when dropping a course (the Veterans Administration considers the recipient ineligible to receive benefits after the last date of attendance);
2. Failure to report to the Veterans Clerk in the Veterans Success Center any change in status (number of units or change of address) and;
3. Repetition of a course in which a satisfactory ("C" or better) grade has been received.

If an overpayment occurs, the Veterans Administration will automatically stop further payment until the entire amount due has been repaid. If veterans are no longer eligible to receive benefits because they are carrying less than six units and receiving benefits under Chapter 30, 31, 33, 35, or carrying less than three units and receiving benefits under Chapter 1606, or are officially withdrawn from school, a letter will be sent to them requesting repayment. In the case of hardship, a veteran may apply to the Veterans Administration to make arrangements for repayment of the debt with as little inconvenience as possible.

If a VA student's cumulative grade point average remains below 2.0 for two consecutive terms, the student will not be certified for VA educational benefits until the academic status is restored to Good Standing.

The Veterans Success Center is located in the IC Building, where staff is available to assist veterans with educational benefits procedures, tutoring and counseling.

For further information, please call (626) 852-6421, Monday-Thursday between the hours of 7:30 a.m. and 7 p.m. To contact the regional VA office, phone (888) 442-4551, or go online to to find additional information on your benefits.